Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Every Shirt LXXIX: Ensiferum

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

shirt: Ensiferum - Very Strong Metal
size: XL (EU)
vintage: 2006
provenance: catalog

Ordered either while I was still in Germany or shortly after returning, this is a smallish shirt that still sees a lot of use, principally due, I think, to the extremely metal conceit at the heart of it: the equivalence of metal with beer. A significant contributing factor may be that the design is also cool, and that Ensiferum is a pretty damn cool band, all injuries aside.

Nobody ever read any of the early stuff, so the reason that every time I talk about Ensiferum, I mention getting hurt, needs some explanation. The short version is that the first time I saw them, on the Party Stage in '05, I got into a bit of the general melee and fucked up the knee that doesn't typically get injured. But they were still badass, and got a top score despite adjustments for injury. Needless to say, this put a bit of a damper on the rest of the day, having to stump around on two bad, swelled-up knees, but at least Metal Church and Obituary were wicked awesome immediately following -- this does serve as a sort of tonic, though I'd hesitate to prescribe it for...well...anyone who isn't already at Wacken or a similar festival and in a position to self-administer.

No comments: