Friday, March 28, 2008

a crap cascade

In the last 15 hours, three bad things happened. In order:

1. I majorly fucked up my left knee at soccer, meaning that I basically couldn't walk and thus
2. I missed Vital Remains and Monstrosity last night, and will in all likelihood have to give Napalm Death a pass tonight. Not cool.
3. I find out that Avenged Sevenfold is playing at Wacken this year. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL.

Look at this:
As I Lay Dying
Avenged Sevenfold
Job For A Cowboy
Killswitch Engage
Soilwork
Unearth

Doesn't this look like a garbage metalcore fest? Of course, all the good bands mentioned earlier are still playing, but as a metal purist I hate to see these bands on the marquee at Wacken (even though Soilwork did some good stuff before about 5 years ago, and I can actually stand Killswitch). On the other hand, the more lame mainstream bands are added, the greater the chance that I won't miss anyone I actually want to see in order to catch the underground portion of the bill.

I have no idea what to expect this year, and no idea what the 20th iteration of the fest will present next year. It's getting freaking surreal.

No comments: